Thursday, February 19, 2009

I really need to stop watching the Simpsons


I don't know if anyone else has made the mistake of watching this season of the Simpsons or not but, goddamn, has it been awful. Between the iPod jokes (welcome to 2003) and Bart's cell phone crisis (welcome to 2001) was jammed the absolute worst episode I think that they could ever produce, Homer meets the Muslims (welcome back to 2003). Jesus, this has been an awful cesspool of malformed jokes, flat characterizations and piss poor writing. I firmly believe that the writers of the show are now kids who grew up writing fan fiction on some Yahoo user group in 1997 and think they can translate the same skills as professionals that got them beardo kudos online.

The thing that brought this to mind now, though, was the opening credits of the show. They've only changed twice of which I am aware in the show's history. First, because they were long and never changed save the Bart-writes-on-the-blackboard gag and the couch gag they just cut to the chase and showed those two basically. But now they have actually extended and refined some of the little jokes in the new credits, making them three times longer than before. And when I noticed this on this week's episode my first thought was, "Good, that will make the show's run time shorter." That's when I knew that the show, or at least my viewership, should really stop. When I resort to being more entertained by memories of when this was good television than I am by the actual new production I have officially lost interest. Good night and God bless.


P.S. Stop making Futurama movies, too. Those plotlines don't hold up for ninety minutes. Go back to episodic TV. You're very good at it.




No comments: