Monday, December 29, 2008

Holiday traveling sucks, or how I hate flying into Detroit

I am returned to the greater New York metropolitan area as of yesterday afternoon, one bag sadly lighter and one girlfriend more happily encumbered since the beginning of the holiday season. I was booked onto a flight with a certain nameless Northwestern airline for Saturday, 12/27, which was oversold by four passengers. They offered vouchers and hotel rooms; I needed flight dollars and sleep in a private room more than I needed to be home. A deal was struck. I went to my hotel and drank myself into some semblance of pleasant slumber.
I woke very early the next morning, as I am wont to do, and proceeded on my merry way to the airport. One bag checked, one bag carried on and off I was to Detroit as my previously flight seems to have been the last direct between Indianapolis or La Guardia. Or Newark. Or JFK. There was to be no happy middle ground. The flight was rocky and windy but we made it in safe enough.
I and my fellow travellers, Jessica and Hillary (also good sports about being left back), deplaned to discover that our connecting flight had been cancelled and we were to race to a second terminal to attempt to board the next flight to LGA, leaving any moment. Off we sprinted. We made the plane, though I lost the promised first class accommodations only to wind up between two people in what would have been termed the "bitch seat" of an automobile. The best was made of the situation, though, and I finished most of Scrooge, a movie musical version of A Christmas Carol starring Albert Finney which was rather enjoyable. My fellow passenger, Phil, a quite decent fellow from Flint coming to New York to install a new 911 system, was rather intrigued with the film and we struck up a conversation about the different versions of the tale out there. Good times can be had by strangers on a place.
Remember that bag that I checked in Indianapolis? Well, the airline didn't. They left it in Detroit in their haste to get the angry passengers into the air. And there it sat while I put in my claim and finally escaped the hell that is La Guardia airport. It was to be delivered last night, late they told me. They just called saying that they are on their way nearly twenty four hours later. I, however, am at work and they are going to Brooklyn. Ah, such is life. The good news is that I will not need two bags again this year until swag season comes again. Hooray for travel. I will probably see you again, Detroit, loathe as I am of the prospect. Happy holidays!

No comments: