Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Mom's hospital stay, lacking nutrition, sleep and non-painful beds


As some may have heard my mom just underwent bariatric surgery on 12/16. I flew into Indianapolis to be with her that afternoon when she came out of the operating room. Naturally, I hadn't slept for two days before this either. Its safe and routine and all that but its still surgery.

She came through it with flying colors, though, and was conscious (mostly) when I got to her room. She was in a lot of pain and, therefore, on a lot of morphine. And my mom is hilarious when she is doped up, it turns out. Who knew?

She went to liquid pain killers either the next day or the one after that. They all started running together once we left my friend Mike's house and started sleeping on either hospital cots or tiny lounge couches to be closer to Mom. I wanted to sneak some of her meds by that point. But she perked up by and by and we were able to take her home on Saturday, 12/20 and sleep in real beds and stuff. Not that sleep was much in coming even then, thank you, Beth. ;)

Now, onto the angry ranting part. Given that this was a bariatric hospital, designed and built to help people whose obesity has become dangerous and for all intents and purposes stopped them from living normal lives, the state of their cafeteria is disgraceful. There were times I couldn't find non-deep fried vegetables there. One day was just mashed potatoes and corn, nothing green at all. In fact the salad bar had more cheese than greens on it! The smallest beverage cup was about 24 oz. near as I could tell. I looked for smaller ones but turned up zilch. I was amazed; it was as if they had put several factors of obesity on display. I have to wonder if they aren't just drumming up business by having this cafeteria at all.

No comments: