Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Sitting alone in a hotel room on New Year's Eve, or How My Plans Came To A Sudden and Painful Demise


I write this from a Hilton in Allentown, PA, not happily at all. Not one bit.

I spent the bulk of 12/30 searching for a reasonable/workable ticket from New York to Grand Rapids in hopes of seeing Beth on New Year's Eve. Finding absolutely NOTHING I was pretty much resigned to being home alone and sulking, two of my previous favorite pastimes. However, somewhere in the vicinity of midnight, Beth comes across a ticket on that one Northwestern airline that, while not reasonable, was very workable. Possessing my shiny new voucher I plunged ahead and coughed up the difference. It was what I wanted the most for New Year's Eve.

So, ticket in hand I forged out to the airport. Weather was mild in both locales, plane was on time and everything was looking hunky dory. I boarded. We departed. Excitement lay just beyond the horizon, more so than my wildest fantasies dare conjure! We hit cruising speed, or whatever they call it, and I busted out my laptop to write. Drinks were served. All was well!

Not two minutes after this the flight attendant called for all items to be stowed, all refreshments to be picked up and all (four) passengers to prepare to land. What? The left engine was about to be shut down and we were landing in Allentown, PA, the pilot told us. And this we did, in extreme winds, on one engine and at frightening speeds. I now know exactly why airplanes have seat belts as I lurched hard forward on that landing. The pilot took it really well, though, and we all survived.
This being Allentown no escape was forthcoming, so we holed up in this hotel. My three fellows and I hit a Red Robin for dinner as the hotel concierge assured us that they accepted the meal vouchers we were supplied. She was incorrect. The manager was nice enough to dock $20 from our check for them in apology of the confusion but Dan, one of the travellers, was even kinder. He charged the whole sum to his corporate card. What a guy! Turns out that not every time God closes a door does he also seal the window just to watch you die of heat stroke.
Alas, here I am, writing this misery from my room, waiting for my early morning escape into...Detroit of all places. Still, it will end well. As Beth has said, it could have been worse. I could have died and stuff. And, truthfully, I am happy that I did all I could to get out there for the New Year. I know I'd actually be this much more miserable if I had just stayed home and done nothing. And I will be in Grand Rapids far before anyone reads this. Happy New Year, all, and best to you in 2009.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sucks more than leeches in my aynus.

Ro-Beast Rollie said...

I shit my pants when Wally told me about your plane's engine going out, and then I shit them again when reading this blog. Glad to hear you made it back in one piece.

Oh, I got you a pair of pants for your birthday. Used.